Flute Festival 2013: Plays Well With Others
Click here for a review of the 2013 Flute Festival that appeared in the Pipeline!
November 8-10, 2013
Claire Chase, Mary Stolper, Molly Barth, Ali Ryerson, Alexa Still, and Roundtable discussion with Michel Debost
1710 N. Orrington Avenue
Evanston, IL 60201
ph: (847) 866-8700
To receive the special room rate available through October 18, phone 1-800-HILTONS and identify yourself as an attendee of the Chicago Flute Club Festival. To reserve a room on line, visit www.orringtonevanston.hilton.com & enter the code (FLUTE) in the box marked "Group/Convention Code."
Discounted admission is available to all Chicago Flute Club members.
Update 10/18/13: The Hilton Orrington is fully booked Friday, 11/08. We suggest you try the Hilton Garden Inn/Evanston, 1818 Maple Avenue for room availability. 847.475.6400
Guest passes are not valid for the Flute Festival.
The Chicago Flute Club announces our 2013 Flute Festival, "Plays Well with Others" to be held November 8-10, 2013 at the Hilton Orrington in Evanston, Illinois. The Festival will kick-off with an evening of dinner and entertainment celebrating the achievements of Michel Debost and Jim Keefe.
Events and concerts, primarily focused on flutes in unique combination with other instruments, will take place both at the hotel and at Lutkin Hall on the Northwestern University campus.
- Lifetime Achievement Awards Banquet on Friday evening, November 8 will honor Michel Debost and Jim Keefe. Cash bar begins at 6:00pm; dinner at 7:00pm. Tickets are $62; fill out box #2 on the registration form and return by October 29.
- Saturday evening concert "Exploring Music with Claire Chase and New Friends."
- Sunday Afternoon Headliner Ensemble Concert.
- Visit more than 30 exhibitors to try flutes of all sizes, discover a new piece of music, meet one of our knowledgeable repair technicians, or purchase a new accessory!
Thank you to the following sponsors for your commitment to the Chicago Flute Club's 2013 Festival, "Plays Well With Others!"
Abell Flute Company
Tom Green Flutes
Levit Flute Company
Dale & Teresa Muir
Gemeinhardt Musical Instruments, LLC
Festival Flute Orchestra
Conducted by Shaul Ben-Meir, the Orchestra is open to CFC members and their advanced students. Sign up to participate in this orchestra by submitting the Festival Registration Form.
Things to do and see
Evanston, Illinois, is home to Northwestern University. It boasts a vibrant downtown and a beautiful lakefront setting.
Thirty minutes away, downtown Chicago claims the distinction of the nation's #1 destination for business travelers. Chicago boasts 29 miles of breathtaking lakefront, 22 miles of bike paths, 33 public beaches, 5,500 restaurants, 200 live theaters, Lincoln Park Zoo, Navy Pier, Millennium Park, The Art Institute, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Lyric Opera, the Adler Planetarium, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium and miles of magnificent shopping.
Click HERE for the Flute Festival Schedule of Events. You'll want to plan your Festival days now!
Remember, the Festival opens on Friday evening November 8 with our Lifetime Achievement Awards Banquet at the Hilton Orrington in Evanston. This year we honor Michel Debost as our flute artist and Jim Keefe as our industry master. Be there to hear them and their friends discuss their life and work. The food is good, the company fantastic, and the price is right!
Everyone who attends the banquet is also entered into a drawing for some fabulous prizes. Brannen Brothers Flutemakers is donating a custom designed Lyricraft flute stand. Cannonball Musical Instruments is donating 2 French made bamboo silk flute swabs. The CFC is donating a CD, a French flute case cover, and 4 CFC case ID tags. The Flute Enterprise is donating a fancy cleaning cloth. Flute Pro Shop is donating a red patent leather Fluterscooter bag. Flute World is donating Michel Debost's book The Simple Flute. Hilton Orrington is donating a gift certificate. Ellen Huntington is donating a Lyrebird CD. Little Piper and Muramatsu America are donating a selection of CDs & sheet music. Pearl Flutes is donating a Pearl flute messenger bag. Verne Q Powell Flutes is donating a 10th anniversary limited edition copper colored Fluterscooter bag. Tom Wilson is donating a handcrafted walnut & German silver flute case. Woodwind & Brasswind is donating a red leather NY Glam Couture Fluterscooter bag. And a surprise donation from Past President Jan Frank.
- CFC Festival Flute Orchestra conducted by Shaul Ben-Meir
Open to all Festival attendees! Sign up on the Festival Registration Form
- Flute Choirs from around the country
- Annual Student Competition Final Round
- Solo Artist Competition Final Round
Application Deadline: October 1
- Recital by former Michel Debost students
- CFC Member Showcase Ensemble Concert
Participants chosen on first come, first served basis. Flutists must be CFC members.
Workshops and Masterclasses
- Round Table Discussion on the Origins of our Flute Heritage- led by Michel Debost
- Improvisation Workshop- with Ali Ryerson
- Collaborating with Composers-with Nicole Riner
- Flute playing techniques and traditions in dance and folk music found in Mexico, Cuba, and Peru- with Martha Councell-Vargas
- Working with Harpists: A Flutists Guide- with Ellen Huntington
- Flute Choir Reading Sessions
- Begin the Day Right with Yoga- with Susan Mayer
- Warm up Your Lips- with Patricia George
- Beginner Flute Techniques, the Kathy Blocki Method – with Kathy Blocki
- Playing in Tune With Any Instrument-with Peter Middleton
- The Magic of Moyse- with Cate Hummel
- Middle School Masterclass- with Kathy Borst Jones
- Contemporary Music Masterclass- with Molly Barth
- Ensemble Master Class- with Mary-Christine Stingley
Artists, presenters, and programming subject to change without notice.